Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Mixed Race Project






























Take a peek at this amazing and inspiring photography project by Jenna Park.  Capturing sweet and intimate moments between children, parents and grandparents, she offers a glimpse into the homes and lives of inter-racial families like her own.


















I loved looking through her photos.  I am also from a mixed family - my father is Chinese, my mother from the Philippines.  I was born in Singapore and have lived in diverse, metropolitan cities my whole life.  My husband is a Japan-born Argentine-American, of Austrian and English descent.  Our two children are multi-racial.

In addition to having grown up among so many cultures, I am also fairly young - sometimes I forget how new this diversity is to the world.  I am puzzled by racial stereotypes that some people cling to.  I was shocked to learn that up until 1967, inter-racial marriages were illegal in many states in the U.S.  After a little internet research, I found out that there are still inter-racial or 'inter-ethnic' marriage restrictions in many countries today.

Where are you from?  Does your family embrace more than one heritage?  I'd love to hear your history.



1 comment: