Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

143/365 - Jurong Bird Park




My favorite thing to do at the Jurong Bird Park is bird feeding at the Lorry Loft.  It's the first stop on the park monorail.  You can buy little cups of nectar at the entrance of the aviary.  The lorries LOVE this stuff - they must pester the poor guy working at the nectar dispenser all day.  The girls and I arrived first thing in the morning, and they must've been hungry, because about ten of them flocked to me and my cups and before I knew it, my arms and shoulders were covered with brightly colored flapping wings (Oh, I wish I had a picture)!  

After their initial rush for food, however, the girls weren't so sure about these birds.  They stayed far, far away from those nectar cups.Lily:  "Mommy, I want to get back on the train.  Can we get back on the train now?" 
Fortunately, there were plenty of other less-intense activities to enjoy at the Bird Park - the African Waterfall Aviary was a beautiful walk.  


There were even aquariums for some of the various waterfowl - also a great place to stop and have a snack while you watch things swim by.   



Watching the girls discover each creature was really the best part of my day.  We have been taking Lily to zoos since she was a bun in my belly - I thought, hey, it's never too early to start, right?  It was fun then, and it's unbelievably cute when they are babies learning to point and say the animals' names...  But it gets better!  I am so delighted that Lily is now curious about the facts on display.  She's learning to read now, too, and she asks me to read every line of text that we come across.  We learn about habitats and diet, and Ruby gets into it too, "Oh?  They eat fish?  Oh wow!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment