Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

097/365


We've been living in Singapore for almost a year now, and the endless summer makes it difficult to keep track of time.  Without the seasons, the year flew by much faster than I expected.  In some ways, it has been like one long tropical vacation.  The weather is the same every day - sunny, cloudy or thunderstorms, a steamy 27 to 32 degrees celsius.  No one really follows seasonal changes in fashion here - always resort wear.  I love that I can wear sandals every day.  The foliage is always either gorgeously green or in bloom.  Trees are always full of birds.

Maybe it's because September marks the one year anniversary of our move here, but lately, I have been missing the seasons.  I really miss the rhythm of change in produce at the market.  Fruits and vegetables are imported to Singapore from all over the world, and we have been eating berries every week since we have arrived here.  We love them, but it is starting to feel strange.  September used to mean picking the last of the berries and savoring every last drop of summer sun with the anticipation of cold, dark days ahead.

Hot, tropical climates will always be my favorite kind - sultry nights, ripe fruits, naked skin.  Delicious.  However, there is a certain magic that only comes when the other seasons withhold the one you desire.  The relief of crisp fall air and snuggling into a soft, warm sweater.  The silent beauty of the first snowfall blanketing the city and poking at glowing logs in the fireplace.  The excitement of seeing the first spring flowers after a long, cruel winter.  I am craving them all, now.  So, dear readers, while some of you may be jealous that we will be tanned and barefoot for months to come, enjoy your seasons for me!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. As the summer slowly comes to end here and I start to fear (yes, fear) my first Canadian winter in many years, your post reminds me of the wonderful things to come. Hot apple cider, pumpkin pie, the crunching of autumn leaves, the first snow, hot chocolate with marshmallows, and then of course the anticipation of the spring to follow.

    Come visit us in Canada!

    ReplyDelete